Although higher education in Poznan began as early as the 16th century it was not until May 1919 that the University of Poznan was established. Its principal creator and first Rector was Heliodor Swiecicki, a prominent gynecologist. In the same year the Poznan Medical College and the Department of Pharmacy were all started. In 1920 the Medical College was converted into the Faculty of Medicine with Professor Adam Wrzosek as Dean as well as the Division of Pharmacy was established with Professor Konstanty Hrynakowski as its Director. In 1929 a Chair of Dentistry was established in the Medical faculty and later this was converted into the Division of Dentistry.
In 1959 the Medical Faculty, including the Division of Dentistry and the Pharmaceutical Faculty, were detached from the main University and established as an independent unit called the Karol Marcinkowski University of Medical Sciences, named after a famous Poznan physician of the early 19th century. A Faculty of Nursing and a Division of Laboratory Medicine were added in 1979. In 1992 Medical Faculty II, including the Division of Medical Education in English was formed, thus becoming the first institution in Poland to teach medicine to overseas students. Two programs were prepared, a 4-year course for students taking the United States Medical Licensing Examinations (U.S.M.L.E.) and a 6-year course for English-speaking students, but partially based on the Polish 6-year M.D. course. In the year's 2000-2004, Medical Faculty II was expanded to include the Dentistry program in English and the Faculty of Pharmacy was expanded to include an English program.
In 1993 a new discipline, public health, was introduced to the Faculty of Nursing which was subsequently renamed the Faculty of Health Sciences. Two important recent developments have been the establishment of a Department of Neonatology, the first in Poland, and a Magnetic Resonance Imaging Canter. Research and Graduate Education Among the scientific achievements of Faculty members have been those of Franciszek Adamanis who worked on drug phase transitions, Wanda Blenska for her work on an anti-leprosy vaccine, Stefan Dabrowski for his pioneer work on the nephron, Wiktor Dega who created the Polish rehabilitation school, Boleslaw Gladysz, tutor of numerous eminent Polish radiologists and author of the outstanding work "Tomography", Jan Krotoski who developed the first Polish heart-lung machine, Wanda Moczko for her diagnostic work in both dental radiography and mammography, Stefan Rózycki who introduced the use of radiology into comparative anatomy and Rudolf Sarrazin for his work on dental filling materials.
Poznan University of Medical Sciences is a modern school of medicine. It has a modern library with full computer facilities, modern lecture halls, computer rooms and scientific laboratories. Theoretical, practical and clinical activities take place in 5 modern University Clinical Hospitals. We are ready and open to admit anyone suitably qualified who wishes to study the medical sciences, acquire and perfect professional skills, earn scientific degrees and conduct research.
In recent years Poznan University of Medical Sciences has conducted research and developed collaborative projects with many leading universities in Europe and the U.S.A. The main areas of research currently being pursued by these scholars include: - the molecular diagnostics of genetically determined disorders - the construction of a new model of perinatal care - the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of diseases related to civilization and - the search for new naturally occurring and synthetic medications. Students who join the Student Scientific Association collaborate in these research projects. Every year the University organizes close to a hundred graduate lectures, conferences or symposia for physicians, dentists, pharmacists and specialists in the various branches of medical technology.
In academic year 2003/04 there were enrolled 4,797 students (i.e. Medicine 1,484 ; Dentistry 525 ; Pharmacy 780 ; Medical Technology 156 ; Nursing 703 ; Physiotherapy 364 ; Midwifery 98 and Public Health 578 respectively of which 267 were foreign students. In the period 1950-99 13,040 physicians, 4,516 dentists, 5,406 pharmacists, 544 Masters of Medical Technology and 1,284 Masters of Nursing were graduated from the University. In addition, 2,969 candidates received advanced medical degrees. At the close of the academic year 153 professors with 859 academic and clinical instructors and 321 technical staff members were conducting instruction and research. The University numbers eight institutes, twenty six departments and fifty eight chairs. Moreover five State Clinical Hospitals with 2,216 beds, together with 445 beds in other Poznan hospitals provide a variety of clinical bases for University teaching and research.
The 1998 graduating class from Poznan was a very successful group. Of those who took the USMLE with the group, approx. 85% passed the first part of the US medical licensing exam and 95% passed the second part of the US medical licensing exam. Graduating students from the school in Poznan had performed elective clinical rotations in 30 different hospitals in 6 different states.